Are you feeling the chill? It's definitely cold this time of year in the Knoxville area. But how does it impact our health? Our team at AFC Urgent Care Knoxville wants you to learn how the cold weather can affect your health, as well as ways to build a stronger immune system this time of year.
How Does the Cold Weather Take a Toll on Your Health?
The colder weather can have both good and bad effects on our health and wellness. When the temperatures are cold outside, it can suppress immune response, meaning your body will have to work harder to fend off illness. However, because your body is working hard, it can also help you to burn more calories, which can be a benefit when trying to lose and/or maintain a healthy weight. You should take safety precautions, especially in instances where icy or snowy conditions are involved.
Ways to Stay Safe in Cold Weather
- Wear appropriate outdoor clothing, especially a hat and gloves.
- Cover your mouth when outside to protect your lungs from extreme cold.
- Sprinkle cat litter or sand on icy patches to avoid falls.
- Work slowly when outside doing chores.
- Follow safety precautions when outdoors.
What Can the Cold Weather Do to Benefit Our Health?
In addition to helping our body to burn more calories, the colder weather can also help to reduce inflammation and allergy symptoms, which to many of us living in the south is a huge benefit! To reap the benefits and stay strong and healthy throughout the winter, take steps to boost your immune system year-round.
Ways to Build a Stronger Immune System
- Avoid smoking.
- Consume a diet that is high in fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise on a regular basis.
- Get plenty of sleep at night.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
Do you think you might be coming down with the cold or flu? Visit AFC Urgent Care Knoxville today for a medical evaluation and treatment plan!