Have you or a loved one come down with a fever? If so, there’s likely no need to worry.
Although fevers cause discomfort, they’re extremely common—especially among those who have the flu.
If you have a fever and are looking for ways to feel better, our AFC Urgent Care Knoxville team is here for you! Read on as we provide some helpful tips below.
Why Does the Flu Cause a Fever?
While a fever isn’t 100% guaranteed when dealing with the flu, it is one of the most common flu symptoms. We’ve listed some other common flu symptoms below.
Common Flu Symptoms
- Aches and pains throughout the body
- Sore throat
- An extreme feeling of fatigue
- A persistent and worsening cough
- Stuffy or runny nose
What Can I Do to Feel Better If I Get a Fever?
If the flu has caused your fever, you will likely be dealing with it for at least three or four days. While fevers can feel very uncomfortable at times, they’re still quite manageable.
We’ve listed some ways to reduce your fever at home below. However, no matter what the temperature on your thermometer says, don’t hesitate to reach out to our AFC center if you feel concerned.
Ways to Lower a Fever
- Stay in bed and get plenty of rest.
- Keep hydrated! Drinking lots of water, tea and diluted fruit juices can help to replenish lost fluids.
- Take OTC medications like acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Stick to the proper dosage on the bottle, and don’t them use alongside other fever-reducing medications.
- Stay cool. Remove extra layers of clothing and blankets, unless you have the chills.
Have further questions about the flu or a flu-related fever? We’re here for you, so don’t hesitate to reach out today!