COVID Booster shots and flu vaccines? What’s next? Monkeypox!
The recent outbreak has raised concern for many of us in the Worcester and surrounding MA areas. This trifecta of viruses can potentially threaten your winter holiday plans! Lucky for you, AFC Urgent Care Worcester now offers the quadrivalent flu shot and COVID-19 testing to help you have peace of mind when visiting your families and friends this winter holiday season. Here’s what you should know so you can avoid all three viruses this season.
Updates To The Flu Vaccines This 2022/2023 Flu Season
The CDC has information and updates for the flu vaccine in 2022 that you should know:
- The egg-based H1N1 vaccine component was updated from an A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus to an A/Guangdong-Maonan/SWL1536/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus.
- The cell- or recombinant-based H1N1 vaccine component was updated from an A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus to an A/Hawaii/70/2019 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus.
- The egg-based H3N2 vaccine component was updated from an A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus to an A/Hong Kong/2671/2019 (H3N2)-like virus.
- The cell- or recombinant-based H3N2 vaccine component was updated from an A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus to an A/Hong Kong/45/2019 (H3N2)-like virus.
- The B/Victoria lineage vaccine component was updated from a B/Colorado/06/2017 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus to a B/Washington/02/2019 (B/Victoria lineage)-like virus.
- The B/Yamagata lineage vaccine component was not updated
I Got The Omicron Variant Last Year. Why Do I Need The New COVID Booster Shot?
Now is not the time to play russian roulette with these viruses. Antibodies fade over time, and people have gotten COVID more than once in the past 2+ years. We also have the flu and Monkeypox to worry about, too.
Last year, we missed out on our favorite holidays because of the Omicron variant and the flu. It was very confusing because the symptoms overlap. Why make the same mistake of skipping out on booster shots when we can:
- Be both COVID and Flu protected (and protect others)
- Rule out these two viruses this winter as we also have colds, strep and other sicknesses to consider
Monkeypox Is Also A Threat This Flu Season!
The CDC has reported a recent outbreak in Monkeypox in the U.S and around the world. So, that means you can also get it while traveling this holiday season! It has been reported in several states recently. Although Monkeypox (MPV) is found in many countries across Africa, the recent spike in infections has raised concerns for the well-being of our friends and families here in Worcester and the surrounding MA area’s.
Symptoms Of Monkeypox Include
- Rash or Lesions (the most obvious symptom that appears after 1-3 days)
- Muscle aches
- Swollen lymph nodes
It’s best to practice the same safety precautions as we do for COVID and flu, now for Monkeypox as well. This includes, self isolating if you do have monkeypox, washing your hands frequently throughout the day, and to mask up (we encourage it this winter to avoid all 3 viruses).
You can also stay informed by checking in with The CDC guidelines, vaccine information, number of cases and where it’s spreading.
For information on the latest COVID booster and the Monkey Pox vaccine centers, please visit your local pharmacy or check the Massachusetts DPH website for a link to available locations.
Walk-in Or Make An Appointment For Your Flu Shot At AFC Urgent Care Worcester
***Our COVID-19 testing services are offered 7 days a week and our RAPID COVID-19 testing service can give you results in 30 minutes. We hope you stay flu, COVID and monkeypox free this holiday season!