With temperatures continuing to drop and the holiday season among us, injury cases become more common. There are a variety of situations and conditions that cause injuries to be more prevalent during this time of year. Learn about common winter injuries so that you and your loved ones can stay healthy this holiday season. Visit AFC Urgent Care Stoneham for urgent injury care near Stoneham, MA.
Common Winter Injuries
During the colder winter months, the prevalence of slick conditions increases. The change of weather has a direct impact on the types of activities we are participating in and the conditions that we are exposed to which can increase the prevalence of injury. Injuries like falls, although commonly thought to only be a risk for the elderly or small children, increase significantly during this time of year due to slippery conditions. Not only this, but major falls from trees and ladders also increase due to the holiday season.
It is vital to be aware of common winter injuries so that you can take preventative measures to promote safe conditions. Injuries can affect anyone of any age, which is why it is important to pay attention to your surroundings at all times and avoid performing dangerous activities when possible - especially in slippery conditions.
Common winter activities that can cause injury:
- Shoveling: Shoveling can be necessary, however, use caution as it can cause a variety of injuries like back and neck injuries, muscle sprains and strains, and even heart attacks.
- Ladder falls: Falling off a ladder can cause serious injuries such as concussions and broken bones. Always have someone to hold your ladder and hire a professional when working on high surfaces like a roof.
- Slipping on ice: Salt any commonly used walkways, outdoor stairs, and your driveway if applicable. Use caution when walking outside early in the morning or late at night when the temperatures are at their lowest and visibility is limited.
- Tending a Fire: Staying cozy with a fire is amazing in the colder months, however, use caution when tending to a fire as ashes may spray and cause burns. Splitting wood also can cause a variety of injuries like splinters and lacerations.
When To Seek Medical Care For An Injury
Sometimes, it can be difficult to assess how serious your injury is at home and whether it requires medical care. Urgent care is a great resource for non-life-threatening injury care if you require fast and affordable medical assessment and treatment. If your injury is severe or life-threatening, such as a spinal injury, bones that have broken through the skin, or very large lacerations or burns, you should seek medical care in the emergency room.
Injuries that are commonly treated at urgent care include:
- Lacerations requiring stitches
- Minor burns (less than 3 inches in size)
- Joint pain
- Muscle pain
- Fractures and sprains
- Dislocated joints
Injury Diagnosis & Treatment Near Stoneham, MA
Being aware of the injuries that are common during the winter season can help you take extra precautions to stay safe and healthy this holiday season. When injuries do occur, AFC Urgent Care Stoneham is here to help. Our medical providers are board-certified and able to provide fast and comprehensive injury care. We never require an appointment to receive care at our clinic, simply walk-in or schedule an appointment online.
Our clinic is open 7 days a week with extended business hours so that you can access the care that you need when you need it most. Our facility is state-of-the-art and equipped with a digital x-ray suite which allows our medical staff to accurately diagnose your injury at the time of your visit without the need for a second appointment. We accept most medical insurance plans and offer affordable care. Simply walk-in today. For additional questions, please contact us directly by calling (781) 279-4000.