Managing your health can sometimes seem like an overwhelming task. During the fall, when illnesses tend to spread more frequently than the warm summer months, it can seem like you are always suffering from an illness. Eating well can have a huge impact on your overall health, and even boost your immunity which can help your body better prepare for fall illnesses. Learn more about how you can use food to boost your immunity this fall.
The Importance of Healthy Eating
Our bodies rely on the fuel we provide for overall functionality and to get energy and resources to protect itself from infection. Without proper nutrition, dangerous health conditions such as malnutrition, obesity, high blood pressure, heart conditions and more could arise.
It is easy to provide your body with the fuel it needs and protect yourself from illness and disease by maintaining a healthy diet. Providing your body with adequate nutrition does not have to be an expensive task.
Here are some guidelines to keep in mind when considering your nutritional requirements:
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables as much as possible
- Don’t skip meals
- Drink ample water daily
- Don’t over restrict certain food groups
If you’re worried about your diet or have questions about what you should be eating, urgent care makes preventative healthcare quick and easy.
Fall Foods that Boost Immunity
It is always a good idea to eat fresh foods and vegetables as much as possible as they carry the most nutritional value. As the weather begins to cool, the fresh foods available at the grocery store change as different plants go in and out of season. Sometimes, this means that you have to get creative with your cooking and find ways to use the foods available. Here are some fall foods that offer incredible health benefits that you should keep your eyes peeled for at the grocery store this fall:
- Pumpkins: Not only are they great fall decorations, but they also pack a nutritional punch with high levels of vitamin A. They can be used in many different ways, including roasting and eating the seeds!
- Kale: This leafy green sometimes can be tough to perfect, but they are an excellent source of fiber and immunity boosting vitamins. Kale is also well known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cranberries: These fall berries are much more versatile than cranberry sauce on your thanksgiving table. Have them dried in salads, in sauces or in juice form for a variety of health benefits, including helping clear UTIs. Just watch for high levels of sugar in pre-prepared options.
- Apples: An apple a day sure can help keep the doctors away! Apples are high in antioxidants which can help fight a variety of diseases. You can enjoy apples raw, or put them in salads, juice them or bake them.
Although the summer produce you know and love may become scarce in the fall months, it doesn't mean that your nutrition has to go on the back burner. There are so many amazing fall foods that pack a nutritional punch and can help boost your immunity this fall.
Get Preventative Healthcare Near West Long Branch, NJ at AFC Urgent Care West Long Branch
AFC Urgent Care West Long Branch is here for all of your urgent care needs, but we also are here to support your overall health through various preventative health options. To learn more about how you can stay ahead of your health this fall, you can visit our website to learn about the services we provide.
We accept most major insurance plans so that you can get ahead of your health this fall. We don’t require appointments, so walk in to get quality medical care provided by our board-certified medical professionals. To speak to a team member directly about the care available to you, call us at (732) 222-8000.