A sinus infection, or sinusitis, is a frustrating ailment that causes a runny nose, congestion, swollen and/or itching eyes, a sore throat, headaches, and other symptoms. While there isn’t necessarily a quick sinus infection cure, there are certainly ways that you can ease your discomfort and speed up your recovery. If you’re suffering from sinusitis, know that you aren’t alone; approximately 90% of patients with colds have an element of viral sinusitis. AFC in Thornton is a leading urgent care provider that has some answers for you. We’ll explain the causes of sinusitis and its main symptoms and discuss some natural cures for sinus infections.
What Is a Sinus Infection in Thornton?
Sinusitis occurs when fluid builds up in your sinuses; air-filled pockets in your face. The fluid building up in these areas provides the perfect conditions for germs like bacteria and viruses to grow, as these organisms thrive in warm, moist environments. While bacteria sometimes cause sinusitis, these ailments result most often from viruses. This means that antibiotics are not typically used to treat sinus infections. Sinus infections don’t just happen on their own; there are usually a few risk factors that increase your chances of getting sinusitis. For example, if you’ve previously had a cold or the flu, if you suffer from seasonal allergies, if you are a smoker, or if you have structural issues with your sinuses or a weak immune system, you are more at risk of developing sinusitis.
Sinus Infection Symptoms
Sinusitis has distinct symptoms that your doctor will be able to diagnose quickly. While annoying and uncomfortable, sinusitis is not known to be life-threatening, but you should still seek treatment in Thornton to avoid the infection getting worse. Here are some common symptoms of a sinus infection:
- Runny nose
- Stuffy nose
- Facial pain or pressure
- Mucus dripping down the throat (post-nasal drip)
- Sore throat
- Bad breath
Sinus Infection Cures
While there is no definitive natural cure for a sinus infection, there are ways to relieve your symptoms and help your body recover. Here are some of the ways that you can do this.
- Saline nasal sprays: Using a saline nasal spray several times a day can help moisturize and ease irritation in the sinus passages.
- Nasal lavage: Using a neti pot or specially designed squeeze bottle, nasal lavage, and a humidifier or steam from a hot shower will moisten dry sinuses and reduce inflammation, making breathing easier.
- Warm compress: A warm compress on the nose and forehead can ease the pressure a sinus infection causes.
- Hydration and rest: Proper hydration and adequate rest are vital factors in maintaining good health and can help your body recover from a sinus infection.
- Nasal corticosteroids: Sometimes a trip to the drugstore is helpful to pick up remedies like nasal corticosteroids, which include fluticasone (Flonase), budesonide (Rhinocort Allergy), mometasone (Nasonex), beclomethasone (Qnasl).
- Decongestants: A decongestant can be prescribed by your doctor or found over the counter. Use cautiously, however, as prolonged use of decongestants can make your problem worse, triggering rebound congestion.
- Allergy treatments: Some sinus infections are caused by seasonal allergies, so allergy medications and immunotherapies can help reduce symptoms.
- Pain relievers: Pain and pressure can be alleviated by over-the-counter pain relievers like acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and aspirin.
When to Go to the Doctor
You should always seek medical care in Thornton if:
- You have severe symptoms, such as a severe headache or facial pain.
- Your symptoms get worse after improving.
- Your symptoms last more than ten days without improving.
- You experience a fever for three or more days.
Head to AFC in Thornton for Treatment
American Family Care is a leading provider of affordable and convenient urgent care services. Our mission is to provide the best healthcare possible in a kind and caring environment while respecting the rights of all patients, in an economical manner, at times and locations convenient to the patient. All AFC clinics are designed, equipped, and staffed to provide accessible primary care, urgent care, minor emergency treatment, and occupational medicine. If you think you may have a sinus infection, don’t wait to get back to living your life uninterrupted… Head to AFC today for diagnosis and treatment.