Stop the bleedingIf someone has a cut or gash to their body & they are losing blood the bodies natural response will be to clot the blood to prevent bleeding out. If the person is Anemic or is experiencing heavy bleeding, it is possible the body will not be able to clot, leaving the person at a severe health risk. In the event of someone bleeding heavily you should:
- Put pressure on the wound preferably with a sterile piece of clothing
- Do not elevate the injury
- Make sure the wound is sterilized
ChokingChoking can happen at any time & it can cause a hectic scene. If someone doesn’t act fast, the victim can lose consciousness & die. Try to learn the Heimlich maneuver on someone who is choking on a foreign object.
- The person who is choking most likely won’t be able to talk. Look for hands covering the throat
- Stand behind the victim, wrap your arms around their midsection & place a fist between their rib cage & belly button.
- With your other hand over the first deliver a quick thrust upward until the foreign object is removed from the victim’s throat.