AFC Urgent Care Saugus Is here to treat you when you or a loved one has suffered a non-life-threatening injury that needs immediate attention. However, when an injury occurs, there is a gap in time before the paramedics arrive. During this time we can often feel helpless, this why you should know these first aid basics that we will be discussing below!
Basics on Bleeding
When the body suffers a cut or gash, its natural response is to form a blood clot. Blood clots are the bodies mechanism to stop you from losing to much blood. However, if the person is anemic or is experiencing heavy bleeding, it is possible the body will not be able to clot, leaving the person at a severe health risk. In the event of you being around someone bleeding you should:
- Put pressure on the wound preferably with a sterile piece of clothing
- Do not elevate the injury
- Make sure the wound is sterilized with alcohol or alcohol wipes (if around)
Basics on Choking
Choking usually happens suddenly & catches everyone off guard. If someone doesn’t act fast, the victim can lose consciousness & die. The Heimlich maneuver is the go-to maneuver when someone is choking around you. You should also look for these signs:
- The person who is choking most likely won’t be able to talk. Look for hands covering the throat
- Stand behind the victim, wrap your arms around their midsection & place a fist between their rib cage & belly button.
- With your other hand over the first deliver a quick thrust upward until the foreign object is removed from the victim’s throat. Push should be about 1 second apart each.
Basics on treating Shock
In the event of a traumatic event or massive loss of blood the victim could fall into shock. Shock occurs when the victim does not receive enough blood to their brain. If someone is in shock lay them on the ground & then elevate their legs. After this make sure they stay warm by covering them with blankets & then call 911!
If you have any more questions or concerns, contact us at 781.233.1000.