Can Sudden Weather Fluctuations Make Me Sick?
We are all creatures of habit and like to stay within our comfort zones. Sudden changes in the weather can affect all of us. Whether it is summer or winter, if we are not prepared for the changes in weather, we can be affected by these seasonal changes. We will be looking at how changes in weather can affect all of us and how we can prepare to deal with these changes.
How Fluctuations in the Weather Can Affect Your Health
We will look at this from the point of view of the winter season.
- Drier Air: The winter air is colder and drier. It can dry out your nasal passages. This makes them less able to fight off viruses.
- The Cold: The cold winter air weakens our immune system. This makes us more likely to catch infections.
- Exposure to Others: When you are around other people in a closed environment, such as indoors, there is a higher chance of catching infections from other sick people.
Common Health Conditions That Are Triggered By Sudden Weather Changes
Here are some of the most common conditions that are triggered by shudder weather changes.
- Illnesses of the Upper Respiratory Tract: These are mainly caused by exposure to people who have these infections. These viruses are airborne, or you can get them from touching any surface that has the virus on them.
- Sinus and Throat Issues: Heating and cooling systems may not be able to keep up with the rapid changes in the weather. The seasonal changes can trigger sinus and other throat issues.
- Asthma and Bronchitis: These chronic conditions can be triggered by cold air. It is recommended to use an inhaler when the weather changes to avoid seasonal asthma or bronchitis. Cold air causes our airways to close down and tighten up. You will see a lot of people with shortness of breath who are wheezing and sneezing.
- Cold and Flu: We are more likely to catch colds and flu from others who have it. This causes an outbreak in groups of people who are together in closed spaces.
- Muscle and Joint Injuries: People who enjoy winter sports but haven’t exercised in a while lead to limber up with indoor exercises before venturing out in winter. Improper clothing and pushing muscles beyond their usual capacity can cause sprains, strains, injuries and broken bones.
We can see that fluctuations in weather can easily affect our health. Remember to wash your hands regularly, avoid people who have infections, disinfect commonly touched items and dress and eat properly to remain safe from illnesses due to weather fluctuations. If you are not feeling well visit AFC Urgent Care Lakewood today or save time and check-in online.