Sinus infections are typically caused by common colds that are left untreated, and are very common in Cleveland, TN this time of year. Once a sinus infection is developed, it typically takes between seven and 14 days for a person to recover after treatment. Diagnosing and treating a sinus infection quickly is key to making sure it does not develop into a more serious condition.
What Are the Common Symptoms of a Sinus Infection?
Sinus infections are commonly misdiagnosed as common colds. Knowing the symptoms of a sinus infection will help you better understand if you are suffering from a common cold or a sinus infection. Here are some common symptoms to watch out for:
Sinus Infection Symptoms
- Pressure behind the eyes and cheeks
- A runny nose for more than one week
- A headache that gets worse each day
- Yellow or green mucus
- Decreased sense of smell
How Can You Treat a Sinus Infection?
Letting a sinus infection go untreated will lead to continued discomfort, and in rare cases, has even led to more severe issues like meningitis and cases of blindness. If you are suffering from a sinus infection, some common home remedies may help.
Sinus Infection Treatments
- Flush your nasal passages using saline.
- Take a hot shower or bath.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Eat spicy foods.
- Use a humidifier in your home.
- Remove any common allergens from your home, such as dust or pet hair.
If these home remedies don’t work, our doctors at AFC Urgent Care Cleveland are here to help. We’ll confirm the source of your illness—and get you back to feeling your best!