How to Treat a Burn

July 30, 2022

Burns are often very painful injuries. It is important to know how to treat a burn properly in order to reduce the pain and healing time. Continue reading to learn about the different types of burns, how to treat them, and when you should seek medical help.

AFC Urgent Care Hillsdale can treat injuries that are not life-threatening. A burn is no exception. We have the necessary equipment to help treat minor to moderate burns, so visit us next time an accident happens. 

Symptoms of First & Second Degree Burns

The first step is to understand the severity of the burn. There are three types of burns: first, second, and third degree.

First-degree burns only affect the epidermis or the top layer of skin.

Second-degree burns damage the epidermis and the next layer of skin called the dermis.

Third-degree burns damage or destroy the epidermis and dermis and may also damage the underlying bone, muscle, and tendons.

Symptoms of first-degree and second-degree burns include:

  • Red, painful, swollen skin
  • Minor blistering
  • Sensitivity to touch

Third-degree burns also cause white or blackened, charred skin. Third-degree burns may also cause numbness due to the damage to the nerves.

How to Treat Burns

The first thing you should do for any burn is to cool the area with clean, cool water for at least 5 minutes. This will help to stop the burning and reduce the pain. Do not use ice, as this can cause more damage.

After you have cooled the area, cover the burn with a sterile gauze bandage or wrap. Make sure that the wrap is loose enough so that it does not put pressure on the burned area.

If you have a first-degree or second-degree burn, you can take ibuprofen or another over-the-counter pain reliever to help reduce the pain.

If you have a third-degree burn, do not apply anything to the burned area except for a sterile gauze wrap. Seek medical attention immediately as third-degree burns require professional treatment, and medical providers can guide you on how you can continue to care for your burn at home.

When to Seek Medical Help

You should seek emergency medical attention from the emergency room if:

  • The burn is larger than 3 inches in diameter
  • The burn is on the face, hands, feet, groin, or buttocks
  • You have a third-degree burn
  • You have signs of an infection, including increased pain, redness, swelling, or pus
  • You have a chemical burn

If you are unsure if your burn requires medical attention, it is always better to seek professional help.

Burns are a common injury, and they can be treated in a variety of ways. The most important part of treating a burn is making sure that it is done properly so that the injury does not get worse. If you have been burned and are looking for help, AFC Hillsdale can provide you with the resources you need to make sure your burn heals properly. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you recover from your burn injury.

Recent Blogs

About Our Services:

Call (201) 523-9222 for more information about our Hillsdale urgent care services.

Scroll to Top