AFC Urgent Care Dedham is here to treat you & loved ones when you are facing a non-life threatening emergency. However, when an injury occurs sometimes, you have to think fast & assist the wounded before paramedics arrive. In this article, we will be discussing some techniques to use to help someone who is injured before paramedics arrive.
If someone has a cut or gash to their body & they are losing blood the bodies natural response will be to clot the blood to prevent bleeding out. The person bleeding may be experiencing a complication or have other medical issues that may hinder their blood from clotting. In the event of someone bleeding heavily you should:
- Put pressure on the wound
- Do not elevate the injury (specifically a nose bleed)
- Sterilize the wound
When someone is Choking
Choking can happen at any time & if you do not know what to do it can leave yourself feeling helpless. If someone doesn’t act fast, the victim can lose consciousness & die. The Heimlich maneuver is the most critical maneuver to use when someone is choking.
- Look for the universal sign of choking, Hands over the throat
- Stand behind the victim, wrap your arms around their midsection & place a fist between their rib cage & belly
- With your other hand over the first deliver a quick thrust upward until the foreign object is removed from the victim’s throat.
In the event of a traumatic event or massive loss of blood the victim could fall into shock. Shock occurs when the victim does not receive enough blood to their brain. In the event of this happening make sure to lie the victim on their back & elevate their legs. Keep the victims warm by covering them with blankets or clothes & then call the paramedics!
If you have any more questions or concerns, contact us at 781.461.0200