AFC Urgent Care New Bedford is here when you get a nonlife-threatening injury. However, when an incident occurs & people get hurt you need to act quickly before the paramedics arrive. These first aid tips can help give you the confidence you need to spring into action in a difficult situation.
Try to Stop the bleeding
If someone has a cut or gash to their body & they are losing blood the bodies natural response will be to clot the blood to prevent bleeding out. However, the body doesn’t always work as correctly as we would like it too. If the victim’s body does not start clotting (this can be from heavy bleeding or anemia) then you should follow these steps :
- Put pressure on the wound preferably with a sterile piece of clothing
- Do not elevate the injury
- Make sure the wound is sterilized
- Keep pressure until paramedics arrive
What do if someone is Choking
Choking can cause a bit of a hectic scene; If someone doesn’t act fast, the victim can lose consciousness & die. The Heimlich maneuver is the best thing to do when someone shows a sign that they are choking. Follow these steps:
- The person who is choking most likely won’t be able to talk. Look for hands covering the throat
- Stand behind the victim, wrap your arms around their midsection & place a fist between their rib cage & belly button.
- With your other hand over the first deliver a quick thrust upward until the foreign object is removed from the victim’s throat.
In the event of a traumatic event, a victim can start to lose a tremendous amount of blood, this can lead to the victim falling into shock. Shock occurs when the victim does not receive enough blood to their brain. In the event of this happening make sure to lie the victim on their back & elevate their legs. After this make sure they stay warm by covering them with blankets or whatever is around & then call an ambulance!
If you have any more questions or concerns, contact us at (508) 990-1900