Is It Too Late to Get Your Flu Shot?
The flu is definitely making its presence known in and around our area. But just because we're already in the midst of flu season doesn't mean you can't take steps to protect yourself and your family.
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Ladera Ranch wants to share some tips with you about how to do just that, as well as signs of the flu to watch for. Read on as we offer some insight.
Can the Flu Be Prevented?
Your best defense against the flu is to get an annual flu shot. While it's best to get the vaccine by the end of October, if you haven't gotten yours, it's not too late. Once you are vaccinated, it will take two weeks for your body to build up protective antibodies.
You can also take steps to prevent the flu by washing your hands regularly, disinfecting commonly touched surfaces and avoiding contact with those who are sick.
Ways to Build Immune System
- If you smoke, quit.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Aim to exercise 30 minutes a day, most days of the week.
- Get plenty of sleep at night.
- Practice healthy habits like washing hands on a regular basis.
What Is the First Sign of the Flu?
There are many symptoms that could indicate that you are coming down with the flu. Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body aches, and fatigue are all common symptoms associated with the flu virus.
Additional symptoms of the flu can include headaches and a runny or stuffy nose. Many of these symptoms are also common with a cold, but your symptoms will likely be more severe if you have the flu.
Treatment for the Flu
- Take an antiviral medication, if one is prescribed.
- Be sure to get plenty of rest.
- Treat aches and fever with OTC medications.
- Use throat lozenges to help sore throat and/or cough.
- Run a humidifier to assist with nasal congestion.
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water and electrolyte-replenishing drinks.
Our mission at AFC Urgent Care Ladera Ranchis to provide affordable, high-quality health care to those across our community!