Poison Ivy and Oak Rash Treatment in Powdersville, SC
AFC Urgent Care Center located at 3613 Highway 153 Powdersville, SC 29611 is open Mon – Fri 8am – 8pm and Sat – Sun 8am – 5pm with doctors who treat poison ivy and oak rash with no appointment necessary. Walk-in or call (864) 307-8840.
Poison Ivy and Other Plants to Avoid This Summer
Have a rash but don’t know what the cause is? Stop by AFC Urgent Care Powdersville today to be seen by one of our physicians. No appointment is required and we have extended hours for your convenience. Whether your rash is caused from poison ivy, oak, or another poisonous plant, we’ll diagnose and treat it. You can also learn how to protect your family from dangerous outdoor plants.
For many, a stroll or hike through the woods is a summer activity is a yearly tradition. For others, their employment may require them to be outside for most of the day. Regardless of the reason, if you are outside you should be mindful of certain poisonous plants. These plants can cause rashes that can ruin summer vacations or force you to take a day off. Have you developed a rash recently? Visit AFC Urgent Care Powdersville today and be seen by one of our board-certified doctors.
While there are many plant that can cause a rash, the big three in terms of truly poisonous plants are poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. These plants all have Urushiol, which is the chemical that triggers a rash if it comes in contact with the skin. Keep in mind that this chemical is not bacteria and therefore does not grow and spread on the body. However, until you wash it off your skin, or clothes, it can spread by brushing up against other people or objects. You may not realize it, but your hands touch your face many times during the day. You can unknowingly spread a rash to other parts of your body or other people until the oil is washed away.
The Big Three
Poison ivy is very common throughout North America except for Hawaii, Alaska, or in desert environments. The vine or shrub like plant can as easily grow in urban areas as it can in remote rural areas.
The jagged leaves of poison ivy grow in sets of three which has coined the phrase, “Leaves of three, leave them be." This plant can also have small flowers or light colored berries. Don’t be tempted to eat them.
Poison oak’s leaves are similar to the leaves of a regular oak tree. They are smooth and curved. They also grow in groups of three, but because of their visual similarity to an oak tree’s leaf, it is named poison oak instead.
Poison sumac is very difficult to recognize in nature to the untrained eye. Unfortunately, of the three poisonous plants, this one can inflict a much more severe rash compared to the other two. Poison sumac will often look like a harmless shrub or tree. They are often found in very wet areas, such as swamps or riverbanks. Be careful when you are in these environments.
You risk developing a rash anytime you come in contact with these plants. Severe rashes can develop additional symptoms like swelling, fever, and blisters. Some people can develop life threatening anaphylactic reactions to these poisonous plants. If you suspect this is happening, seek immediate medical care. Construction workers, groundskeepers, farmers, and hikers are the most at risk in encountering one of these poisonous plants. If you are working outside, avoid handling plants with your hands or even touching the cut remains of plants.
If despite your best efforts, you do develop a rash, don’t panic. Most people will find that the rash will heal itself in about one to three weeks without any care from a doctor. Simple over the counter anti itch cream should be enough to relieve your symptoms. If you properly wash the oil from your skin and clothes, the rash will not spread. If your rash lingers longer for more than three weeks, consult with a doctor who may prescribe you topical steroids to finally knock it out.
Wear protective clothing and avoid plants you don’t recognize if you find yourself working outside. Experts say if you follow these two tips, you’ll reduce the risk of brushing up against a poisonous plant. Discover these plants are growing at your place of business or at home? Use pesticides to kill them. Avoid pulling them up with your hands and whatever you do, do not burn the plants! Burning will cause the urushiol particles to become airborne. IF you or other inhale them, you risk developing a rash in your throat and lungs. This could be a very dangerous medical condition.
Have a rash but don’t know what the cause is? Stop by AFC Urgent Care Powdersville today to be seen by one of our physicians. No appointment is required and we have extended hours for your convenience. Whatever your rash is caused from, we’ll diagnose and treat it. You can also learn how to protect your family from dangerous outdoor plants.