DOT Physicals at AFC Urgent Care Hollywood
Convenient, Thorough Walk-In Physical Exams for DOT Employees in Hollywood
In order to legally operate equipment, a DOT physical is required for interstate or intrastate commercial drivers operating vehicles weighing over 10,000 pounds, as mandated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act (FMCSA). AFC Urgent Care Hollywood offers DOT physicals performed by certified medical examiners (CME) following the rigid protocols laid out by the FMCSA. Overall, the exam serves to test heart function, vision, and hearing.
DOT physicals consist of the following:
- Blood pressure testing: To be eligible for a DOT card, drivers must have a blood pressure reading below 140/90. Your physician will take two readings to ensure the it is as accurate as possible.
- Testing pulse: Pulse should be steady and regular to ensure good heart function.
- Vision testing: Your employee must have at least 20/40 vision in each eye. Testing also includes peripheral vision testing and testing the ability to distinguish between different traffic lights and signals. Results are recorded either with or without corrective glasses or contact lenses, and the driver should wear their corrective eyewear for the test.
- Hearing testing: The applicant should be able to hear a forced whisper from 5 feet away or less. The candidate must also have no more than 40 decibels of hearing loss in their better ear. Again, drivers who wear hearing aids are allowed to wear them during testing.
- Lab testing: Our physician will take a urine sample to test for protein, glucose, and blood. Finding these compounds in urine can indicate an undiagnosed condition such as diabetes or an infection, which can affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a commercial vehicle on public roads.
- Neurological function testing: This brief testing includes checking reflexes and the function of extremities.
Results and DOT Card
Your applicant will be informed of any adverse medical conditions found in their DOT physical. If the applicant passes the exam, a DOT card could be issued for a length of 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, or 2 years.
Come to AFC Urgent Care Hollywood for your DOT physical in Hollywood. We have extended and weekend hours for your convenience. Contact us online, or call us at (954) 866-7435.