What Can I Do to Improve My Diet?
Did you know that March is recognized as National Nutrition Month? This awareness month shines a light on what we eat—and whether our eating habits could use a boost.
Because nutrition plays a key role in ensuring we remain in optimal health, our team at AFC Urgent Care Southcenter wants to offer some tips on healthy eating. Read on as we take a look.
How Does My Diet Affect My Health?
When we think of food, we usually think about the foods that are the tastiest. However, while we want our food to taste good, we also need to make sure we are also thinking about other aspects of the food we eat, such as the nutrition value.
When we give our bodies food that doesn't necessarily fuel our body in a good way, we can put ourselves at risk for a number of health conditions, like arthritis, diabetes and heart disease. Therefore, we need to make sure we are choosing foods that help fuel our bodies and provide them essential nutrients and antioxidants.
Healthy Eating Habits
- Fill half your plate with fruits and veggies.
- Choose whole grains instead of refined, white grains.
- Choose lean proteins like chicken and tuna.
- Limit your consumption of sodium, added sugars and saturated fat.
- Eat foods containing heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
How Many Servings of Fruits and Vegetables Should I Eat?
Experts recommend that adults get at least four servings of fruit and five servings of vegetables each day. That sounds overwhelming, right?
Don't let it overwhelm you! In reality, a serving of fruit or vegetables is probably much smaller than you'd think. So, you may be getting more in your diet than you think.
Serving Sizes for Fruits & Veggies
- 1 medium apple, peach or orange
- Half of a medium avocado
- A half-inch thick wedge of melon
- 1/4 of a medium pineapple
- Half of a large bell pepper
- 5 florets of broccoli or cauliflower
- Half of a medium potato or half of a large sweet potato
- 1 small ear of corn
When was the last time you had your blood cholesterol and blood sugar checked? Visit our medical team at AFC Urgent Care Southcenter today! No appointment is needed.