What Steps Can I Take to Avoid Summer Health Issues?
We have been waiting for this moment for what seems like eternity. Finally, a new summer season is upon us, and we couldn't be more excited!
However, with a new season comes the risk of health issues, such as sunburns and firework injuries.
That's why our team at AFC Urgent Care Southcenter wants to offer you tips on how you can stay safe this summer. Read on as we offer some perspective.
Why Is a Sunburn Dangerous?
When you suffer a sunburn, you are increasing your risk of skin cancer. In fact, your risk of skin cancer doubles when you experience five or more bad sunburns.
Therefore, it is important to take steps to prevent sunburn from occurring in the first place so that you can decrease your risk of skin cancer in the future.
Ways to Prevent Sunburn
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m and 3 p.m., when the sun's rays are most intense.
- Seek shade whenever possible.
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Use sunglasses with a UVA/UVB protection.
How Can I Stay Safe Around Fireworks?
The 4th of July is only days away, which means there will be fireworks galore! But with fireworks comes the risk of serious injury.
Your best option is to watch a fireworks presentation put on by an organization or a city. If you're going to be setting them off yourself, there are safety precautions you absolutely must take.
- Do not lean over a lit firework.
- Leave unexploded fireworks alone.
- Keep water nearby.
- Do not point a firework at another person.
- Light fireworks one at a time.