How Can I Get Better Skin?
We all are looking for the fountain of youth, especially when it comes to our skin. However, sometimes on our way to looking for healthy skin, we pick up bad habits, such as tanning.
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Levittown is here to offer tips on how you can keep your skin healthy for years to come.
Can I Be in the Sun and Still Have Healthy Skin?
While we can all benefit from some vitamin D in order to protect our bones and reduce our risk of osteoporosis, exposure to the sun also brings with it the risk of skin cancer.
Therefore, while it is beneficial to be out in the sun, especially during the summer months, it is important to also take precautions to keep your skin safe.
Ways to Protect Your Skin
- Use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- Try to avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., when the sun's rays are most intense.
- Wear wide-brimmed hats to protect your face, neck and ears.
- Use sunglasses with UVA/UVB protection.
- Seek shade when possible.
- Reapply sunscreen at least every two hours while outdoors and more often when sweating or swimming.
What Does Smoking Do to Your Skin?
You may be wondering—what does smoking have to do with protecting your skin? Well, we'll give you the scoop.
When you smoke, you are narrowing the blood vessels of your skin, which makes your skin look paler and damages the elastin, which can cause wrinkles to appear. Consider quitting smoking this year—not just for your skin but for your overall health, too!
Ways to Stop Smoking
- Make a plan to quit.
- Avoid triggers that cause you to want to smoke.
- Have a support system in place.
- Talk with a physician about tools that can help you through smoking cessation.
- Keep yourself busy.
Did too much time in the sun leave you with a bad burn? Visit the AFC Urgent Care Levittownteam today to ensure your skin is on the path to healing.