What Can I Do to Stay Healthy This Summer?
While the summer season is full of fun in the sun, it can also be full of injuries if we're not careful.
That's because we're often spending more time outdoors, where new health hazards and challenges emerge. But our team at AFC Urgent Care Levittown is here to help you stay safe this summer.
Am I at Risk of a Lawn Mower Injury?
If you're mowing the lawn, then yes, you're at risk of injury. Because we're so used to mowing the lawn being a normal household chore, we forget that we're using a powerful piece of equipment when we mow.
That causes us to let down our safeguards, putting us at a higher risk of injury. Some 80,000 lawn mower accidents occur each year, in fact. But there are steps you can take to protect yourself.
Preventing Lawn Mower Injuries
- Keep lawn mowers in good, working condition.
- Avoid pulling mower backward.
- Do not leave a lawn mower unattended.
- Wear closed-toe shoes.
- Use a stick or broom handle to remove debris.
- Wear protective gloves and eyewear.
How Can I Protect My Skin From Sunburn?
Whether you're out mowing the lawn or hanging out by the pool, you need to be sure to protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun. That's because even a few burns over the course of your lifetime can drastically increase your risk of skin cancer.
While skin cancer is common among Americans, that doesn't mean it's unavoidable. You can protect your skin in a number of ways.
- Avoid the sun during 10 a.m and 3 p.m., when the sun's rays are most intense.
- Seek shade whenever possible.
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- Reapply sunscreen at least every two hours while outdoors, or more often when swimming or sweating.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Use sunglasses with UVA/UVB protection.
Did you experience a summer injury? Stop by AFC Urgent Care Levittown for a medical evaluation!