How Can I Keep My Family Healthy This Summer?
When it comes the summer, there are so many things to look forward to. But summer’s intense heat and sun bring about some unique challenges.
Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care East Meadow offers some tips on how to keep your family safe!
Is a Sunburn Dangerous?
The short answer—yes. When you suffer a sunburn, you are increasing your risk of skin cancer.
In fact, your risk of skin cancer doubles when you experience five or more bad sunburns over the course of your lifetime. But there are steps you can take to limit your risk of burning and protect your skin.
Ways to Prevent Sunburn
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m and 3 p.m., when the sun’s rays are most intense.
- Seek shade whenever possible.
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Use sunglasses with a UVA/UVB protection.
How Can I Keep Food Safe Outdoors?
When it’s hot outside, sunburn isn’t the only thing the heat and sun can lead to. Have you ever considered the sun’s effect on food?
While a picnic or cookout may sound like the perfect summer treat, you need to be sure you proceed with caution when it comes to preparing food or eating food outdoors.
Ways to Prevent Food Poisoning
- Wash your hands.
- Wash worktops and dishcloths.
- Keep raw meat separate from cooked meat or other foods.
- Cool leftovers quickly and store them away.
- Cook food thoroughly.
Not feeling at your best this summer? Stop by American Family Care East Meadowtoday for a medical evaluation.