How Can You Get Healthy Skin?
When it comes to living a healthy lifestyle, you might think of exercising and eating a healthy diet. But it's important to also consider taking care of your skin!
During Healthy Skin Month, our team at AFC Urgent Care Cheltenham wants to share some tips on keeping your skin in top shape.
How Can You Protect Your Skin From the Sun?
Although you might think that sunscreen is only useful during the summer months, it is actually pretty important to use all year long. Any time you are out in the sun, wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 on all exposed skin.
Even during the winter months, the sun can damage our skin, especially if we work outside in the sun for long periods of time. And cloudy days are no exception—80% of the sun's harmful rays can come through the clouds.
Other Ways to Protect Skin
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours when outdoors.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when possible.
- Wear a hat that protects your ears and scalp.
- Be cautious of the medications you are taking, as some medicine can make you more sensitive around the sun.
How Does Smoking Affect Your Skin?
If you are currently a smoker, you likely know that quitting will improve your health in a number of ways. Need another reason? Smoking is harmful for your skin.
When you smoke, you are damaging your skin's collagen and elastin, which can then cause wrinkles and make your skin age prematurely. Plus, smoking can also increase your risk of skin cancer.
Other Ways to Promote Healthy Skin
- Limit bath time and use warm, not hot, water.
- Avoid strong soaps.
- Shave carefully.
- Moisturize your skin, especially if it is dry.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Pat your skin dry, rather than aggressively rubbing.