How Can I Take Care of My Skin This Summer?
Who doesn't want to have some fun in the sun this summer? We all do! But it's important to also take steps to protect your skin.
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Cheltenham wants you to have fun while also playing it safe when it comes to summer skin care!
What Is Skin Cancer?
Skin cancer occurs when your skin produces abnormal cells, which are usually the result of exposure to the sun’s strong ultraviolet rays.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, skin cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the United States. In fact, one in five Americans will be diagnosed with skin cancer by age 70. Therefore, it is important for all of us to take action to prevent skin cancer.
Signs of Skin Cancer
- A large brownish spot with darker speckles
- Color and size changes of a mole
- A mole that bleeds
- A place on your skin where the portions and/or border seem red, pink or white
- A post that burns and/or bleeds
Why Is Skin Health Important?
When you have healthy skin, you are able to keep your body temperature within normal levels. In addition, healthy skin helps to produce vitamin D, which plays an extremely important role in bone health.
Therefore, it is important to protect the skin you’re in, not just to slow the aging process but also to protect your overall health.
Ways to Protect Your Skin
- Seek shade when possible.
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., when the sun’s rays are most intense.
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 on all exposed skin.
- Wear wide-brimmed hats to add extra protection for your face and neck.
- Choose sunglasses with both UVA and UVB protection.
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to areas like the eyelids, scalp, ears, feet and hands.