How Can I Keep My Skin Healthy This Summer?
Who is ready to have some fun in the sun this summer? Before you head out, our team at AFC Urgent Care Chelmsford wants to make sure you are following good, healthy habits when it comes to your skin.
Why Is Skin Health Important?
When you have healthy skin, you are able to keep your body temperature within normal levels. In addition, healthy skin helps to produce vitamin D, which plays an extremely important role in bone health.
Therefore, it is important to protect the skin you’re in, not just to slow the aging process but also to protect your overall health.
Ways to Protect Your Skin
- Seek shade when possible.
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., when the sun’s rays are most intense.
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 on all exposed skin.
- Wear wide-brimmed hats to add extra protection for your face and neck.
- Choose sunglasses with both UVA and UVB protection.
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to areas like the eyelids, scalp, ears, feet and hands.
What Is Skin Cancer?
Skin cancer occurs when your skin produces abnormal cells, which are usually the result of exposure to the sun’s strong ultraviolet rays.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, skin cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the United States. Therefore, it is important for all of us to take action to prevent skin cancer when out in the sun.
Warning Signs of Skin Cancer
- Itchy skin
- Redness around a mole
- Skin pain
- A sore that doesn’t health
- Tender skin
Did you suffer from a really bad sunburn? Stop by AFC Urgent Care Chelmsford today to ensure more medical treatment isn't needed to prevent and/or treat blisters.