How Can I Sleep Better?
That's the million-dollar question these days. This year especially, good sleep can be hard to come by.
So how can we get it? Our team at AFC Urgent Care Centennial offers some helpful sleep advice below.
How Much Sleep Should I Get?
Adequate sleep slightly varies from person to person, but most experts say that the average adult should get between seven and nine hours of sleep every night.
However, if it feels impossible for you to get that much sleep, do the best you can. Establish a bedtime for yourself every night to help implement a daily routine. Having a routine has proven to be a great aid in getting good sleep.
What Ages Should Get the Most Sleep?
- Newborns should get around 14–17 hours of sleep every day.
- Children under the age of 5 should average around 10–14 hours of sleep every day (including naps).
- Kids from ages 6 to 12 should get nine–12 hours of sleep every 24 hours.
What Are Ways to Make Sure I Sleep Well at Night?
While sleeping pills can sometimes be quick fixes, they're not necessarily the right answer.
Experts recommend making lifestyle changes like reducing stress, limiting caffeineand the other suggestions below to incite long-lasting changes in sleep quality.
Lifestyle Changes That Can Boost Sleep Quality
- Increase natural sunlight and/or bright light exposure during the day.
- Limit naps and the length of naps.
- Reduce blue light exposure in the evenings.
- Don't drink alcohol before bed.
- Don't eat right before bedtime.
- Exercise a little bit every day.
We hope we have provided some good tips to help you take back your nights! Good sleep is important, and if you haven't been getting enough of it, don't hesitate to visit us at AFC Urgent Care Centennial as we can help you get the treatment you need.