Can I Still Hit My Health Goals This Year?
Yes! You can still take steps to improve your health, even if your health resolutions haven't turned out the way you would have liked through the first part of the year.
We're now more than halfway through the year, which gives us a good opportunity to examine where things stand and where we can improve. Our team at AFC Urgent Care Centennial wants to give you some tips on turning your health dreams into a reality.
What Are Some Healthy Habits I Can Start?
While your individual health habits will vary somewhat depending on what your overall goals are, there are some basic healthy habits that can benefit everyone. In fact, healthy lifestyle habits are a key way to prevent many chronic health conditions.
If you are looking for a good place to begin a path toward a healthier you, start by implementing one or two of these goals into your normal routine. This will help you take steps toward good health while not getting overwhelmed.
Healthy Lifestyle Habits
- Don't smoke, or quit if you do smoke.
- Limit alcohol consumption to one drink per for women and two for men.
- Aim for between seven and nine hours of sleep each night.
- Eat a healthy diet based on fruits and vegetables.
- Get at least 30 minutes of exercise most days.
What Does a Healthy Diet Include?
These days, we hear all about diets on the news and everywhere we turn. But a healthy diet is not complicated—and it doesn't have to be expensive, either.
Fill half your plate at meals with fruits and vegetables, one-fourth of your plate with lean protein, and the remaining one-fourth with whole grains. That's a simple way to visualize the components of a healthy diet.
Healthy Eating Basics
- Eat at least five servings of veggies and four servings of fruit per day.
- Choose lean proteins, such as chicken, fish or tofu.
- Watch your intake of sodium, saturated fat and added sugars.
- Prepare meats by baking, broiling or grilling them, rather than frying.
- Choose whole grains, such as brown rice and whole wheat bread.
Feeling under the weather? Schedule an appointment with AFC Urgent Care Centennial for a diagnosis and treatment plan.