STD Testing in AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave
For discreet and easy STI testing come to AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), also known as sexually transmitted infections or STIs, are very common among people all ages in the United States. Especially for younger people, STDs are on the rise. There are dozens of known STDs in the US, which are categorized as:
- Bacterial – Generally curable with antibiotics, STDs like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis are identified at bacterial sexually transmitted diseases.
- Viral – Although viral STDs cannot be cured, many can be treated with medication prescribed by a medical professional. Some viral STDs, like HPV, can disappear on their own. Viral STDs include HIV, genital herpes, HPV, and Hepatitis B & C.
- Parasitic – Common examples of parasitic STDs include public lice and scabies. These can typically be cured with medications and creams.
In many cases, STDs come with a list of specific symptoms. From burning during urination to itching, to discharge and sores, it’s important to get tested if you are experiencing any of these symptoms.
Some of the most common STDs include:
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Hepatitis B
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), which causes AIDS
- Pubic Lice
One of the reasons why many people do not realize they are infected with an STD is because many of the diseases don’t have any symptoms. In fact, you can be infected with an STD for years without knowing it. Even when STDs are asymptomatic, they can still cause damage to your body.
While many STDs can be treated or cured via medication, untreated STDs can lead to numerous problems. It’s highly recommended that you get tested for sexually transmitted diseases or infections if you’re sexually active. Even those who are sexually active with only one partner should consider testing. You can get tested for most STDs whether or not you have any symptoms present. This is why many experts prefer the term sexually transmitted infections (STIs) because you can have an infection present without any disease symptoms.
Some STDs are similar, so you might be tested for a few different types. From cervical cancer to birth defects, it’s important to get tested regular to ensure that you catch any STDs that may otherwise go unnoticed.
If left untreated, asymptomatic STDs can lead to:
- Increased risk of infertility
- Certain types of cancer
- Transmission to sexual partners
- Harm to an unborn baby if you’re pregnant
- Increased susceptibility to HIV infections
AFC Urgent Care STD Testing
How exactly does one get tested for STDs? Ultimately, depending on your specific symptoms (such as pain, sores, discharge, etc.), medical history, and sexual history, your medical provider will decide on what type of STD test to give.
Some ways we can test for sexually transmitted diseases include collecting a:
- Blood sample
- Urine sample
- Swab of the inside of the mouth
- Swab from the genitals
- Swab of discharge or sores
Fortunately, STD testing is quick and painless. AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave is open seven days a week and welcomes walk-ins for STD testing in AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave and surrounding areas. Our medical team is well-equipped with the tools and experience to provide you with fast, reliable testing and treatments.