Does Art Have an Effect on My Health?
Contrary to popular belief, art isn't just for looks. While art, music and other creative expressions provide eye and ear candy, that isn't all they can do.
Studies have shown that consuming and producing creativity can affect your mental and physical health. Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave. explains why.
How Does Art Affect Me?
Historical health indicators like sleep, tobacco use, eating habits and activity are obviously important and shouldn't be overlooked. However, we believe that art and its consumption is an overlooked piece of the health puzzle.
Studies have shown that creative expression helps maintain our immune systems and that art is clinically proven to reduce stress, elevate mood and lower blood pressure. Additionally, research also shows that patients who are exposed to art during a hospital stay actually heal quicker and have a better overall experience.
Other Benefits of Creative Activity
- Can positively impact self-worth
- Improves our sense of connectedness
- Decreases depression, anxiety and stress
- Increases cardiovascular health and blood flow
How Can I Interact With Art?
Interacting with art doesn't have to just involve looking at a painting or drawing a picture. Art and creative expression take on so many approachable forms!
Listening to or making music is another great way to express creativity and boost your health. Studies show that interacting with music can boost your mood, increase memory and cognitive development, and can decrease levels of stress and anxiety. If listening to or making music isn't really your thing, though, check out other ways to be creative below.
A Few Ways to Be Creative and Appreciate Art
- Go to a local art museum. Even if you don't know a lot about different forms of art, learning to appreciate it is a great exercise for your brain.
- Journal. Writing down your thoughts can be a great form of creative expression.
- Watch movies. Film is one of the most approachable and effective artistic mediums around! You can even choose a movie that you might not normally pick to broaden your mind.
Try adding a little more art into your life! AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave strongly believes in the positive effects in art, and we are also here for you if you're in need of medical care.