What Can I Do to Stay Safe This Summer?
For the last few months, we've been focused in on staying safe as our city, state and country battled against COVID-19. As businesses begin to open back up and summer unfolds, what can you do stay safe and healthy?
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave. wants to share some insight into what health issues we may face this summer and how to protect ourselves. Read on to learn more!
Is COVID-19 Still a Threat?
Let's first get this out of the way. While numbers of COVID-19 have declined and we're beginning to reopen, the threat of the virus is still present and real.
So, while you may be able to get out and about more often, your best defense against the virus is still to remain home as much as possible. When you need to be outside your home and around others, be sure to follow other guidelines for protecting your health and those around you.
- Stay six feet away from others when outside your home.
- If age 2 or older, wear a cloth face covering when around others.
- Wash your hands with soap and water regularly for 20 seconds each time.
- If soap and water aren't available, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content.
- Disinfect commonly touched surfaces often.
- Avoid close contact and large gatherings.
What Else Should I Do to Stay Healthy?
There are a couple really important steps to take to keep yourself healthy during the summer. The first is to make sure you're staying properly hydrated by drinking water often throughout the day. Don't wait until you're thirsty.
The second is to take action to protect your skin from the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays. UV rays can damage your skin and increase your risk of developing skin cancer, so sun safety is a must.
Sun Safety Basics
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- Apply sunscreen to exposed skin at least 30 minutes before going outside.
- Reapply sunscreen at least every two hours while outside, or more often if getting wet.
- Try to stay inside between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Seek shade when outside, if possible.
- Wear a broad-brimmed hat to protect the scalp, ears and nose.
In need of medical care? Schedule your virtual appointment with AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave. today!