How Can I Get Glowing Skin?
The summer season is nearly upon us, and we are all looking for that summer glow!
However, the last place you need to look for it is in the tanning bed or roasting out in the sun. Instead, our team at AFC Urgent Care Kingsbridge wants to offer you tips on how you can achieve that healthy skin glow without increasing your risk for skin cancer.
Is Sunscreen the Only Way to Protect My Skin?
While sunscreen is one of the best ways to reduce your risk of skin cancer, there are other ways you can make sure you are protecting your skin.
Speaking of that sunscreen? Choose one with an SPF of at least 30 and apply to all exposed skin, even on cloudy days.
Ways to Protect Skin
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., when the sun's rays are the hottest.
- Eat foods that provide sun protection, such as tomatoes, watermelon and fish.
- Wear UV-protective clothing.
- Wear wide-brimmed hats to protect your face, ears or neck.
- Use sunglasses with UVA/UVB protection.
- Seek shade when possible.
Am I Really at Risk for Skin Cancer?
Every time you are out in the sun without sunscreen or other methods of protection, you increase your chances of skin cancer. One in five Americans will be diagnosed with some type of skin cancer by age 70.
Therefore, it is important for all of us to take skin care seriously, especially when heading outdoors in the summer!
Ways to Get Glowing Skin
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Quit smoking.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Use a moisturizer after showering or bathing.
- Exfoliate to promote skin cell turnover.