How Can I Get Better Skin?
With summer just around the corner, we are all looking for ways to get that summer glow on our skin.
However, lest you think tanning is the way to go, our team at AFC Urgent Care 149th Street wants to offer you tips on how you can get that glow this summer the healthy way without damaging your skin and increasing your risk of skin cancer.
Why Is Skin Health Important?
When you have healthy skin, you are able to keep your body temperature within normal levels. In addition, healthy skin helps to produce vitamin D, which plays an extremely important role in bone health.
Therefore, it is important to protect the skin you're in not just to slow the aging process but also to protect your overall health.
Ways to Improve Skin Health
- Drink plenty of water.
- Improve the air quality in your home.
- Manage stress.
- Drink green tea.
- Be careful with sun exposure.
What Is Skin Cancer?
Skin cancer occurs when abnormal skin cells begin to grow. Sunshine and tanning beds are two of the main causes of abnormal growth of skin cells. And skin cancer is common—affecting one in five Americans by age 70.
Fortunately, there are ways to reduce your risk of skin cancer by taking action to protect your skin when out in the sun.
Ways to Protect Your Skin
- Seek shade when possible.
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., when the sun's rays are most intense.
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 on all exposed skin.
- Wear wide-brimmed hats to add extra protection for your face and neck.
- Choose sunglasses with both UVA and UVB protection.
- Don't forget to apply sunscreen to areas like the eyelids, scalp, ears, feet and hands.
Did you get a really bad sunburn? Visit the AFC Urgent Care 149th Street team today to ensure you're treating your skin appropriately.