How Can You Stay Safe When Celebrating the Summer?
We still have plenty of weeks left in the summer season. Are you taking advantage of them?
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Bronx 149th wants to offer you tips on how to enjoy the summer—the safe way.
How Can I Keep My Family Safe on a Boat?
A boat is a motor vehicle, so just like with cars, it's important to take safety precautions when out boating. Accidents can happen when a boat driver isn't paying attention or is driving too quickly—in fact, more than 4,000 boating accidents are reported each year by the Coast Guard.
So before you head out on a boat, be sure to bone up on basic safety guidelines and how to keep yourself and your family protected.
Boating Safety 101
- Make sure there is safety equipment on the boat.
- Maintain the boat (and safety equipment) properly.
- Monitor weather conditions.
- Don’t turn down your emergency radio.
- Avoid speeding.
- Don’t overload the boat.
How Can I Stay Safe in the Heat?
As the temperatures rise, they can sometimes hit dangerous levels, putting us at an increased risk of developing heat-related illnesses. Seniors and young children are at a particularly high risk.
But there are steps you can take to keep yourself safe when out and about in the summer heat.
Summer Heat Safety Tips
- Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Don't wait until you're thirsty to drink.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages when spending time out in the sun.
- Seek shade whenever possible.
- Avoid being outside between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., when the sun's rays are most intense.
- Head indoors at the first potential sign of illness, including dizziness, queasiness or feeling ill at ease.
Not feeling at your best this summer? Visit the AFC Urgent Care Bronx 149thteam today for a medical evaluation.