Have you recently twisted your ankle on a hike in the Smokies and are experiencing lots of pain? While sometimes broken bones aren’t the cause of the pain, it’s best to schedule an X-ray just to make sure.
Our AFC Urgent Care Sevierville further explains what kind of conditions warrant scheduling an X-ray below, so read on!
What Are X-rays?
X-rays are a form of electromagnetic radiation that can penetrate or pass through the human body and produce shadow-like images of bones and some organs. The images can reveal signs of disease and injury.
There are several different types of X-rays that are used for different purposes, but the most common (and perhaps the one you need to schedule soon) is a bone X-ray. We’ve listed a few other reasons you might want to schedule an X-ray below.
Other Reasons to Schedule an X-ray
- To examine an area where you might be experiencing pain or discomfort
- To monitor the progression of a diagnosed disease
- To check how well a prescribed treatment is working
Are X-rays Safe for Children?
They are. Even though X-rays require a small amount of radiation exposure, the benefits of your child getting an X-ray usually far outweigh the negatives. Plus, the radiation exposure is so small that unless your child is getting X-rays over and over again, it’s likely that there will be no uptick in potential X-ray risks.
We understand if you are still a little wary of X-rays, though, so we’ve listed some ways you can exercise caution for your children below.
Ways to Limit X-ray Risks
- Ask your healthcare provider how an X-ray will help. Ask if there are other procedures that might be lower risk but still allow for good assessment or treatment.
- Ask if a protective shield can be used. If you or your children are getting an X-ray, ask whether a lead apron or other shield should be used.
- Know your or your child’s X-ray history. Keep a list of imaging records, including dental X-rays. Show the card to your doctor or radiologist to avoid unnecessary duplication of X-rays of the same body part. In fact, keep a record card for everyone in your family.
Accidents can happen, even at safe summer camps like Rocky Top Sports World sports camps, so don’t hesitate to visit our AFC Urgent Care Sevierville team for an X-ray today!