As we start living out our resolutions, our team at AFC Urgent Care Southcenter wants to make sure you have added these essentials to your resolution list that can help you live a healthier lifestyle—healthy eating and taking time for self-care.
Let’s take a look at some ways you can improve your eating habits in 2020 while also taking some much-deserved me-time to improve your overall health and feel your best.
What’s Included in a Healthy Diet?
There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to eating healthier. But there are some basic guidelines that can help guide you to healthier eating habits.
Aim to fill your plate at meals and snack time with a blend of fruits and vegetables, lean proteins (either meat-based or not), whole grains, and a small amount of healthy fat, like what’s found in avocado or olive oil. This combination can help you feel satiated, but also provides your body with the essential nutrients and components it needs to function optimally.
Other Healthy Eating Tips
- Consume more fatty fish.
- Cut down on saturated fat and added sugar.
- Reduce your salt intake.
- Stay hydrated by sipping on water throughout the day.
- Bake, broil and grill foods instead of frying.
- Limit your use of sauces and condiments that add calories and fat.
Do I Really Need to Take Time for Self-Care?
Yes! But you may want to reframe your mindset about self-care. At its heart, self-care isn’t about spa days—it’s simply about actively taking steps to take care of yourself.
Practicing self-care, then, is really about regularly practicing healthy lifestyle habits. Doing so can help ensure you feel at your best, both physically and mentally.
Tips for Self-Care
- Get seven to nine hours of sleep most nights.
- Eat a balanced diet packed with fruits and veggies.
- Exercise regularly, aiming for 30 minutes most days.
- Practice meditation and other stress management techniques.
- Spend time with your family and friends.
- Take time away from work, if needed.
When you’re resolving to live healthier, a checkup is a good first step. Visit AFC Urgent Care Southcenter today for a medical evaluation to see where your health currently stands!