The summer season was meant to be filled with fun and enjoyment. However, it’s also full of health hazards and the potential for injury, since we’re spending much more time outdoors.
That’s why our team at AFC Urgent Care Hartsdale wants to talk to you about a couple of common health hazards and how you can protect yourself and your family this summer.
Are Lawn Mower Accidents Common?
The short answer? Yes. In fact, more than 80,000 lawn mower injuries occur in the United States every year.
That’s because people often head out to mow the lawn haphazardly, without taking the proper precautions to protect themselves around a powerful piece of equipment. Following some lawn mower safety, basics can help limit the risk.
Lawn Mower Safety Tips
- Keep lawn mowers in good, working condition.
- Avoid pulling the mower backward.
- Do not leave a lawnmower unattended.
- Wear closed-toe shoes.
- Use a stick or broom handle to remove debris.
- Wear protective gloves and eyewear.
- Do not allow children around a working lawnmower.
How Can You Stay Safe on a Boat?
While most of us don’t think of mowing the lawn as a fun time, time spent out on the boat is. But before you head out on the boat, it’s important to put safety first.
In any given year, thousands of boating accidents occur, often due to drivers not paying attention or driving too fast. Some basic safety guidelines can help ensure you’re staying safe while out on the water.
- Make sure there is safety equipment on the boat.
- Maintain the boat (and safety equipment) properly.
- Monitor weather conditions.
- Don’t turn down your emergency radio.
- Avoid speeding.
- Don’t overload the boat.
Did you experience a summer injury? Visit the AFC Urgent Care Hartsdale team today to have it checked out.