As our schedules change, it can be difficult to carry on with the healthy habits from the fall. The hustle and bustle of the holidays can make it challenging to eat nourishing meals, work out regularly and even fight off illnesses.
It is even more important to keep your body and immune system functioning properly this year amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Sevierville provides some helpful tips for staying healthy this holiday season!
How Can I Create Habits to Stay Healthy?
As effective as dieting and intense workout regimens can be for a few weeks or even months, it is actually more beneficial to create habits that are sustainable in the long run.
If you want to keep off those extra pounds, build muscle or have better health overall, habits that continue for months and years will serve you well. We’ve listed some habits to consider implementing below.
Healthy Habits to Consider
- Wake up and go to sleep at the same time every day and aim for seven to nine hours of sleep each night.
- Drink lots of water!
- Aim to eat more fresh foods and less sugary, processed ones.
- Start exercising regularly. Set fitness goals that you know you can actually achieve.
Should I Avoid All Sweets This Holiday Season?
When deciding to make a lifestyle change a lot of people choose to quit bad habits cold turkey. While that may be doable for some people, others find it difficult to achieve such strict goals.
It will be much more effective in the long run to allow yourself a little bit of leeway. That way, you are able to still fully enjoy the holidays. If you’re worried about gaining weight this season, here are some tips to make it through the holidays without too much damage.
Simple Ways to Stay Trim During the Holidays
- Continue the workout routine you established before the holidays. If you are exercising, you may be less likely to want to overeat.
- Consider choosing a “cheat day” when you allow yourself dessert or snacks that would otherwise be off-limits. If you know you get a break from the diet, it may make the other days more achievable!
- When splurging on dessert, do your best to eat a reasonable portion. Oftentimes it is the size of the portion that is the real culprit of the issue.
- At meals, fill your plate with large portions of fruits and veggies and supplement them with small portions of richer, more decadent foods.
Maintaining good habits is a great way to stay healthy so that you can fully enjoy the holiday season with loved ones. If you do find yourself under the weather, don’t hesitate to visit AFC Urgent Care Sevierville today.