While some are excited to bring home a Christmas tree, others dread the nasty allergies that can sometimes come with it. If bringing home a tree is accompanied by itchy eyes and a runny nose, you may just be suffering from…. Christmas Tree Syndrome.
What is Christmas Tree Syndrome?
Christmas trees carry pine resin or mold that can cause allergic reactions. Often times the smell alone triggers symptoms. With certain precautions, one can prevent ruining the holidays with the dreaded Christmas Tree Syndrome.
When handling live trees:
- Keep hands and arms covered to prevent touching the sap
- Shake off the tree
- Spray with water to remove mold.
- Soak the tree stump in water to prevent future mold
With fake trees:
- Keep fake trees it stored securely when not in use
- When setting up the tree, wipe off dust or dirt from the tree and ornaments.
Along with safe tree procedure, it is recommended to go easy decorating with spray snow to frost your windows. Aerosolized chemical like spray snow can cause irritant reactions in the nose, lungs, and eyes.
We want you to have a happy and healthy holiday season. If you or a loved one may have any symptoms resembling Christmas Tree Syndrome, please feel free to call us at 508-990-1900 or visit us at 119 Coggeshall St. New Bedford, MA, 02746. we’re open 7 days a week, no appointment needed.