Winter can be a tough season on hair. We constantly deal with cold temperatures, dry air, hat hair and lots of static electricity, but there’s got to be a way to make things a little easier on our hair, right?
There definitely is, and our team at AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave. provides some helpful info below.
Why Does the Weather Have an Effect on My Hair?
While hot, humid weather is a little more notorious for messing up well-kept hair (frizz, right?), winter weather can do just as much, if not more damage. The reason is that cold and dry air can actually cause the cuticle of the hair strand to lift ever so slightly. As a result, moisture doesn’t stand a chance of staying locked into the hair shaft.
To add insult to injury, winter winds can cause damage as well because hair becomes more easily snagged and tangled. We’ve listed some ways to battle these conditions below.
Ways to Protect Hair from Cold Weather
- Moisturize. If your hair is prone to breakage and split ends this time of year, switching to a moisturizing shampoo can help resolve some of those issues.
- Get regular haircuts. Trimming your hair every six weeks can relieve split ends and breakages.
- Battle static. The best way to do this is by rubbing unscented dryer sheets from the roots to the ends of your hair. It sounds weird, but it works!
Does My Diet Play a Role in My Hair Health?
Absolutely. If your diet restricts certain food groups, it can have an impact on the health of your hair.
Experts recommend a diet consisting of lots of iron, vitamin D, vitamin C and vitamin A to help your hair look fuller and healthier. We’ve listed more nutrients your hair needs to stay and look healthy below.
Vitamins that Improve Hair Health
- Omega-3 fatty acids. These nutrients are critical to cell health and can make your scalp and hair healthier.
- Biotin. Biotin is a healthy hair-health option and is a soluble B-vitamin, which means it will leave your body through urine if there’s any excess leftover in your body.
- Iron. Not getting enough iron in your diet can lead to anemia, which can cause hair loss.
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave. is passionate about your health! If you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.