A good diet is one of the best ways your child can stay healthy! Not only do healthy foods help your child reach optimal health now, but proper nutrition goes a long way in ensuring his or her future health, as well.
Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave. further highlights the importance of a good diet and healthy habits for kids.
What Nutrients Do Children Need?
It’s safe to say that every parent has heard that children should be eating a “balanced diet,” but what does that mean?
We’ve listed a few of the essential nutrients that every child should regularly consume below.
Essential Nutrients for Children
- Protein—Protein helps a child’s body build cells, break down food into energy, fight infection and carry oxygen. Make sure your child is consistently eating things like lean meats, eggs, nuts and legumes to benefit his or her body.
- Carbohydrates—While “cutting the carbs” is trendy among adults right now, carbohydrates are actually the body’s most important source of energy. They help a child’s body use fat and protein for building and repairing tissue. Implement foods like rice, pasta and potatoes into your child’s diet.
- Calcium—Calcium is essential in helping to build a child’s healthy bones and teeth. It’s also important for blood clotting and nerve, muscle and heart function. Calcium-rich foods include milk, cheeses, yogurt, broccoli and spinach.
What If My Child Doesn’t Like Eating Healthy?
It is certainly common for children to dislike healthy foods, but to be fair, it’s also certainly common for adults to dislike healthy foods, too! The truth is, unhealthy, processed foods just have so much more flavor, so it’s totally normal to desire those foods over healthy fruits, veggies and other lean meats.
The reason processed foods are so tasty, however, is because they have so many unnatural additives that aren’t good for anyone’s overall health. To benefit the health of yourself and your kids, learn about and practice teaching your child about the importance of good nutrition! The more everyone understands about nutrition, the more excited the whole family will be to eat healthy. We’ve listed a few more suggestions to get your kid in a healthy-eating mood below.
Ways to Help Your Child Eat Healthier
- Find fruits and veggies your child likes. If he or she doesn’t like broccoli, try something else. There are tons of veggie and fruit options out there, so keep trying!
- Set a good example and eat healthy yourself. Kids are highly visual learners, so if they see you enjoying fruits and veggies, they’ll likely want to eat what you’re eating.
- It’s not just food that needs to be nutritious! What your child drinks is just as important, so make sure he or she is drinking more water or low-fat milk instead of sugary juices or other drinks.
We hope you better understand the importance of nutrition! If you have any other questions or general health concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out or visit us at AFC Urgent Care Bronx Webster Ave..