As the seasons change as the weather gets colder, patients will be likely to fall ill and develop symptoms of a wide range of illnesses most common in the fall and winter. Many of these symptoms and conditions can be diagnosed and treated at AFC Urgent Care Thornton seven days a week on a walk-in basis.
Common Fall Illnesses
The most common fall illnesses include:
The flu, also known as influenza, is in season from early fall through the end of spring, peaking between December and March annually. There are millions of flu cases reported each year, with hundreds of thousands resulting in hospitalizations and even death in more severe cases. Because the flu is a viral infection, there are several steps that can be taken to prevent catching it each year. However, the most effective and efficient manner of flu prevention is getting an annual flu shot each fall. The flu shot is available at AFC Urgent Care Thornton on a walk-in basis seven days a week. Symptoms of the flu may include:
- Muscle, head and body aches
The flu shot takes approximately two weeks to take effect and to make sure you are protected for the duration of flu season, you should get vaccinated between September and the end of October to make sure you are immune by the time the flu starts spreading rapidly through your community.
The common cold
Another viral infection that affects the upper respiratory system is the common cold. The cold spreads similarly to the flu, by droplets of moisture ejected from the body when someone who is infected sneezes or coughs. The droplets can land on nearby surfaces and even in nearby people’s eyes, noses, and mouths without anyone realizing due to how small they are. Symptoms of a cold typically include a stuffed or runny nose, chest and nasal congestion, and even a fever. More severe cold will have a high fever or will not go away, which is when you should visit AFC Urgent Care Thornton for walk-in treatment including medication, decongestant, and pain relief.
Seasonal allergies & mild reactions
You may think that because the weather is getting colder, you’re no longer going to have to worry about allergies. However, there are plenty of seasonal allergens that can trigger a reaction while you’re cooped up indoors due to the weather. Mold and mildew are often present in bathrooms and basements without adequate ventilation, and pet dander can collect in the home of an animal. If you are exhibiting a stuffed or runny nose or watery eyes, you can visit our urgent care center for diagnosis and treatment for your seasonal allergies.
Staying healthy this fall
There are several things you can do to prevent falling ill this fall, including:
- Making sure you wash your hands thoroughly with hot water and antibacterial soap. After wetting your hands, apply soap and lather, scrubbing for at least twenty seconds, with focus on the back of your hands, between each finger and underneath your fingernails. If soap or running water is unavailable, you can use hand sanitizer to kill germs, but it cannot be used as an alternative to washing your hands.
- Avoid touching public surfaces with your bare hands including stair railings, doorknobs, elevator buttons, and countertops. Wash your hands immediately before touching your eyes, nose or mouth in order to prevent the spread of germs.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, electrolyte-rich energy drinks, and soups to get the nutrients you need.
- Maintain a healthy diet with plenty of protein, fruits, and vegetables.
Seasonal Urgent Care, Allergy Treatment & Flu Shots in Thornton, Westminster & Broomfield, CO
If you are in need of a flu shot or care for seasonal illnesses, visit AFC Urgent Care Thornton today! Our center is open to walk-in patients seven days a week, and most major insurance plans are accepted. For more information, please call 720-751-2910.