Taking the Sting Out of Insect Stings | AFC Urgent Care Baytown
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Baytown understands how hurtful an insect sting can be—no matter if it comes from a bee, wasp, yellow jacket or other mean insect. Fortunately, there are ways to care for a sting at home.
Ouch, That Stung!
The more and more our families are enjoying the great outdoors, the more our risk of suffering an insect sting increases. While most people living in the United States aren’t allergic to insect stings, according to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, 3 percent of adults and approximately 0.8 percent of children do suffer from serious, potentially life-threatening reactions if stung. Therefore, it’s vital to know the difference between normal reactions to an insect sting and symptoms that could signal an allergic reaction.
The following are normal, mild symptoms of a sting:
- Mild to moderate swelling
However, if a person experiences an allergic reaction following an insect sting, then it will result in symptoms such as:
- Difficulty breathing and swallowing
- Facial swelling
- Hives (These will appear on areas of the body other than where the sting was.)
- Rapid pulse
When a sting occurs, it’s important to take steps to treat it quickly—whether a mild or serious reaction occurs. First, make sure to remove the stinger safely (without pulling) and wash the area as soon as possible with soap and warm water. Then, apply an antiseptic and soothing ointment to help expedite healing and minimize symptoms like redness, itching and swelling. Finally, cover the area with a sterile bandage.
No matter what, when an insect sting occurs, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. If you feel you or a loved one are experiencing an allergic reaction—particularly if your breathing is affected—seek medical attention.
If you’re worried about your recent insect sting, visit AFC Urgent Care Baytown to be seen by one of our experienced physicians.