What Is the Best Way to Protect Your Vision?
January is National Eye Care Month!
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Airmont wants you to know how you can protect your eye health and vision for years to come. Read on as we take a look.
What Does It Mean If I Have 20/20 Vision?
When you have 20/20 vision, you are considered to have perfect vision. However, as your vision worsens, the bottom number changes.
For instance, if your vision moves from 20/20 to 20/40, that means that what you would see at 20 feet would be equivalent to what someone with 20/20 vision would see at 40 feet.
Vision Safety Tips
- Know if you are at high risk for certain eye diseases.
- Get a regular physical exam that tests for high blood pressure and eye disease.
- Watch out for changes in vision.
- Exercise on a regular basis.
- Protect your eyes from UV rays—even when outdoors during the winter.
- Follow a healthy diet.
- Avoid smoking.
- Make sure to have an eye exam yearly.
What Are Signs of Eye Problems?
There are a number of ways that you can see that vision problems are starting to appear. For instance, if you start seeing floaters in your vision or double images, you might want to have your eyes checked sooner rather than later.
Plus, eye pain, eye redness and a sudden blind spot should all be checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible!
Ways to Protect Your Eyes
- Wear sunglasses with UVA/UVB protection.
- Use goggles when swimming.
- Wash your hands regularly.
- Try to avoid rubbing your eyes.
- Use eye safety goggles when working, especially around chemicals.
Did you get something in your eye? Visit AFC Urgent Care Airmonttoday for a medical evaluation and treatment plan. No appointment is necessary!