5 Tips for Winter Wellness
The hustle and bustle of the holidays is behind us and it’s the time of year when we all are just trying to stay warm! The frigid temps and lack of daylight can affect your physical and your mental health. In this cold weather it’s important to maintain healthy habits. And that means doing more than just bundling up!
Our first and most important tip comes from Dr. Barlow, our Chief Medical Officer:
- “Get your flu shot! The flu vaccine is your best defense against getting the flu. The flu takes a devastating toll on our nation’s workforce,” says Dr. Barlow. “Employers should make sure they give workers time to go get their flu vaccination and step up the cleaning and disinfecting of their facilities to keep the workplace as germ-free as possible.”
- Wash your hands frequently. Washing your hands several times a day and avoiding putting your hands on your face or near your mouth will help keep germs at bay.
- Get plenty of sleep. Lack of sleep can weaken your immune system and decrease the body’s ability to fight against the flu and other illnesses.
- Eat right and get regular plenty of exercise. Getting the proper nutrition and regular exercise helps fight off cold and flu viruses.
- Stay home! If you are sick, stay at home and don’t go to work or school. Not only do you need to rest, you don’t want to expose others to your germs.
Even if you follow these tips, sometimes you still get sick. If you do, come see us at American Family Care. We’ll get you out and feeling better in no time!