How to Make 2021 a Healthy New Year
There’s something especially appealing about the fresh start of a new year. It seems to be the perfect time to make some changes in your life and to take advantage of that extra dose of motivation. For some, this means setting goals such as losing weight, starting an exercise plan and following a healthier diet.
However, oftentimes our chosen health resolutions are too restrictive and unsustainable. This is why most people break their resolutions within a few weeks and why many people make the same resolutions year after year. To break that cycle, it’s important to make resolutions that can not only improve your health but are also sustainable and can be followed for life.
Here are some ideas for healthy New Year’s resolutions:
- Sleep – Research continues to show that a lack of sleep increases the risk of obesity, heart disease and infections. Make an effort this year to get 7-8 hours of sleep each night.
- Stop smoking NOW! – According to the CDC, within 20 minutes after you smoke that last cigarette, your body begins a series of health changes and improvements that continue for years. There’s no better time than now to stop!
- Exercise regularly - You don’t need expensive gym memberships or special equipment. Set a realistic goal to move more every day and increase your level of activity each week throughout the year.
- Eat healthy - Did you know that even a moderate weight loss of 5% delivers considerable health benefits? Start small by cutting out fast food or junk food and strive to eat more fruits, lean proteins and vegetables every day. Before long, you’ll begin to feel better and have more energy.
- Hydrate - Water is essential to the body because it helps deliver vitamins and minerals to the cells, regulates body temperature, helps the digestive process run more efficiently and lubricates the joints. Aim to drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water every day.
This year try adding some new health resolutions to your list. You’ll be glad you did!
From all of us at American Family Care, we wish you a very happy and healthy 2021!